Palace is located close to Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple, Thiruvanathapuram, Kerala. Built in the year 1845, this palace is one of the finest examples of traditional Kerala architecture with its typical sloping roof, pillared verandahs and enclosed courtyards. Intricate carvings adorn the wooden ceilings with each room having a distinctive pattern. The construction of the palace was completed by 5000 Vishwabrahmins in four years. The palace is made from teakwood, rosewood, and granite. The roof of the palace is made of wood and 42 beams support the carved patterns. The roof is supported by granite pillars. The floral motifs on the ceiling enhance the beauty of verandah. The main 16 rooms of the palace are constructed in 16 different patterns. The palace contains 80 rooms, of which 24 were opened to visitors in the year 1995. The floor of the palace is made of egg whites, black charcoal of coconut shell and slaked lime, which make it cool and smooth even in hot summer.
Palace has a large collection of marble sculptures, life size wooden painted Kathakali manikins of main Indian epic characters, Belgian mirrors, crystal and ivory thrones, Ivory carved cradles, Oil paintings of rulers of Travancore by Indian and Europium artist, Bohemian crystal chandeliers, large collection of Kerala bronze lamps, armory and military weapons, musical instruments, Chinese and European porcelain collections.